Friday, October 12, 2007

Sell Out

Today's post /rant will not be WoW related as I have other "geeky" interests and some that are not so "geeky." Today we shall discuss this Tragedy. I have read comic books for a long time. My favorite was Spiderman growing up, but I really can not stand the movies. I read all the "X" titles, the Avengers, Fantastic Four, Ironman, Hulk, Wolverine,and Captain America. I was pretty much a Marvel junky. The only DC stuff I ever really read was some of the Batman comics, JLA, Teen Titans Go! (The cartoon :P ), and Green Lantern.

I loved comics, yet I have not really loved most of what the "mainstream" market has done to them. As they have become more popular with the Cinema masses I have stopped reading. I am not saying that this was the only reason, just a good stopping point. I long for my son to get old enough to want to collect / read so that we can enjoy this together.

Having said that, I came across the above article and was just shocked. I knew that Captain America was going to come back, there was no doubt there. I just thought that, you know, when he came back he would still be Captain America. I read the Death of Superman stuff and knew how bad that was when he came back. I went through the Ben Reilly Spiderman days and "wept." But come on... what Captain America has become is just wrong.

Here is a neat little comic from a Applegeeks that more or less sums up how I feel about this.

I work at a military base as an IT Contractor. When I picked up my issue where Captain America died, I put up several "Memorial" shots of Captain America. I even tried to talk the Commander into lowering the flag to half mast as Captain America was a hero. He had a good laugh, but nothing. I did however, take the afternoon off as bereavement to mourn :P
blog comments powered by Disqus